Here are some helpful hints to help you and your child take care of their teeth!
- Use a small, soft-bristled brush. There are many out there with fun designs to choose from.
- If your child is under the age of 2, just brush with plain water. After that, use a pea-sized amount of kids toothpaste, but check with your dentist first. Too much fluoride can be a bad thing.
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day – in the morning and just before bed. Spend 2 minutes brushing, concentrating a good portion of this time on the back teeth.
- Replace the toothbrush every 3 or 4 months, or when the bristles start to flare. Never share a toothbrush with others.
- Use floss picks as it’s easier for kids to hold and manipulate themselves.
- Ask about sealants to cover the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where cavities can develop the quickest.